Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Monday, August 9, 2010

Good Morning...

Monday morning... yes it is.

There is a freshness in the air today. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was beginning the week yesterday in a wonderful time of worship and celebration of the grace of Jesus Christ; maybe it was finishing Sunday in an awesome time of discipleship; maybe it's beginning Monday with the renewing of my mind in and around the Word of God. Whatever the cause, there's a fresh breeze in the air today.

As I read through my One Year Bible assignment for the day, I came upon Psalm 31. There were a few passages within the psalm that really grabbed me, but verse three held the most impact... "and for Your name's sake You lead me and guide me." (esv)

Two verses later, we actually find the Christological quote, "Into Your hands I commit my spirit;" and today it all seemed to make sense. For King David, this statement was a cry of trust and dependency in the midst of attack and in light of possible death. For Christ, it was in the very face of certain self-sacrificing death. Both find efficacy in the prayers of Heaven's remembrance because of the realization of the earlier statement, "and for Your name's sake You lead me and guide me."

Today, the fresh breeze does not blow for me, although I am allowed to enjoy it's refreshing. It is the movement of the Almighty God, which fills the sails of His people toward the glory of His name.

On this premise, we find the purpose of life in the purposes of God. Upon this understanding, we find the peace which allows us to join both with David, and with Christ, when they said, "Into Your hand I commit my spirit."

Today, this morning, I hope to live like that.

It is not enough that I might offer to God a half-measure of devotion... for such has not been offered for me, but sacrifice in full. Today I would run with the full measure of life and devotion which is, according to the Apostle Paul, my reasonable act of worship.

For Your name's sake lead me and guide me, O God; for into Your hands I commit my very soul.

May the peace of Christ sustain you, overwhelm you, and guide you this day and always!

John

1 comment:

  1. I so agree!!! I feel this same breeze of encouragement today! However, you've verbalized it beautifully! Thanks for this incredible explanation of this Psalm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!