Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Sound of the Nail Guns


In the realm of Napoleonic warfare, French troops were instructed that, once the battle had begun, they were to move toward the sound of the guns. Thus, Napoleon combined the flexibility demanded by endeavors which engage the human element, along with the intensive curbs of strategy toward execution.

Over the years, I have found pastoring to be quite similar.

The trick of the trade, if you will, is really then simply to recognize the report of the right guns. All guns do not sound alike. The projectile weight, powder load, bore diameter, and more make huge and slight differentials in the report of any particular gun. In ministry, "muzzle reports" fly through a pastor's office like so many wars that want to be, wish they were, and every once in a while, should be. You have to know the sound of the right guns. You have to be able to recognize and verify the voice of the commander.

Several weeks ago, the church I pastor, which has transitioned from a mobile church into a permanent structure, was experiencing the need, once again praise God, for baptism. In the past, the church has administered baptisms off-site, since dragging a tank into a movie theater was neither practical nor amenable to theater management. However, now that we have a permanent structure in which to meet, there is a real desire and need to include baptism in the fabric of weekly worship. All the while, a few of our folks have wonderful memories of swimming pool baptisms, and we would love to see that tradition continue. So with the sound of many guns swirling through the pastor's office, I focused my attention on the one gun that matters, the direction of the action of the Holy Spirit.

For weeks I prayed and sought the Lord. I've learned over time that, often times, intensive soul quiet has to ensue for God's action to be discerned. With long sessions of seeking Him, and over time, I could sense the Holy Spirit continuing to move me toward His position.

Finally, one Tuesday, as I prayed through lunch time, the Spirit showed His direction... the direction that included His yet unseen action. The Lord simply spoke to my heart to give people the choice as to being baptized in worship or at an old school baptismal party. "Ok," I thought, "this one will be easy since we don't even have a baptistry yet in our new building."

About twenty minutes later I drove to a local pizza joint to get lunch. About five minutes later the owner was donating a blue insulated tank just big enough for baptizing to the church just out of me asking what it was. And just a few weeks later, God's action embraced, His primary provision being toted back to the church and waiting, now the sound of God's nail guns are reporting just outside my office from the next stage provision of a team of Christians I didn't expect to help us at all.

The funny thing about the sound of God's artillery is that I had to get quiet and focused on Him to hear it. He was working out in Cincinnati His plans for New Orleans baptisms. The nails guns were already being loaded, but I could have missed them altogether had I not let all the other sounds drop to the side save His voice. And as is so typical of God, with the nail guns came contractors, finances, and creativity for some much needed renovations, help to our church families, and encouragement to the body of Christ gathered here.

I wonder today what I might miss should I fail to focus my attention upon the voice of the Commander of Heaven's Armies. His ways are hidden from the haughty, and given as gifts in portions to the humble... to the soul bent with the knee... to the servants bent toward submission.

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

It works... how about that?!

May the peace of Christ overwhelm you!

Pastor John


1 comment:

  1. Well said! I enjoyed hearing the sounds of the future around the church today!

    We love your awesome leadership!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!