Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'm Coming With You


This morning, at prayers, JP and Jordan were cuddled up in the church commons area watching a Jesus video while Penny and I prayed. As we began, I was tucking JP in with a blanket which usually hangs over the back of my chair... actually a pretty old wool blanket from my first international mission trip way back in the day.

They seemed to be set, and I set out to go have my prayer time. About the time I began to back away from their position, JP grabbed my arm and declared, "Daddy, you sit here with us..."

I leaned in and gave him a big Daddy-hug, and softly told him that I couldn't because I had to go pray and read my Bible. At that point, JP did the coolest thing. He simply began to un-tuck himself from the blanket, grabbed his favorite bear which was along for the ride, and declared, "All-right, I'm coming with you, Daddy!" Now what do you say to that but, "OK, Buddy!"

We went into the Worship Center, where I sat at the back for easy connectivity with those praying and my kids, and JP simply leaned up against me and rested while I read the Bible and prayed. One arm holding the Scriptures, the other arm serving as blanket to my son, and a renewed idea of prayer time.

Interestingly enough, this morning's New Testament passage was one of my favorites, Romans 12. "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." (Rom. 12:1-2, ESV)

"...good and acceptable and perfect." That's a great description of what happened this morning.

Oh, what I would have missed should I have chastised JP into staying away while I prayed and sought God! I had to shift my mindset. I had to remember that when I was a little boy, "I'm coming with you" was often my own declarative as I learned and grew toward becoming a man. I had to remember the heart of Christ's own invitation to the disciples, "Come, follow Me." Not, come and be convenient; not come be my friend; not come be all you can be; but come with me... "follow Me."

This morning JP and I had great fellowship together as he joined me in following the purposes of God.

There's a lesson in there for me... maybe for all of us!

Let us say to the One Who made us, "I'm coming with You!" It's always the right move.

May the peace of Christ sustain you along the way!

Pastor John

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this special moment with us. It reminds us how important it is to let our children be on the journey with us not just leading by example, though that is very important. You can talk the talk but letting them walk the walk with you is so important. I wish I had had a pastor with your insight when I was trying to lead my boys instead of letting them walk with me. Maybe their own walk as adults wouldn't be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!