Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Down by the River

Have you ever considered that the best pathway in life might not be the one of your own creation?

Have you stopped to wonder how in the world you got "here", when you started off heading "there"; but realizing somehow that "here" is better than "there" could have ever been?

Several months ago, Penny and I were leading devotionals on the banks of the Mississippi River for a mission team that was in town.  I led the guys, and she led the girls.  I took the fellas up to the big canon that overlooks the river bank across from St. Louis Cathedral down in the square.  We gathered 'round, took some examples and lessons from the Bible I carry in my saddle bags, and then went on down to the river's edge.  The girls weren't quite finished, so JeeP and I went for a walk up the bank to find Mommy.  About that time, Penny finished up and one of the teenagers snapped a photo of me and JeeP as we walked.

There are some basic realities about that night, and the picture kind of tells the tale.

First, the pier would have been a dangerous place for JeeP without me there.  I mean, we all know he's tough as a Texas boot... but.

Second, JeeP would have been completely lost and found himself legitimately scared if he didn't stay with Daddy.

and

Third, JeeP didn't really understand where we were, where we were going, or why we were doing any of it... and he didn't have to in order to safely be there, get there, and enjoy the process.

When we were up around the giant canon, JeeP entertained the fellas by climbing up my back and onto the canon platform, and then sliding down the slanted granite into my arm as I reached out to catch him while I taught the devotional (multi-tasking preacher/daddy stuff).  Some of the guys said something about it later... I think they learned more from watching him than from listening to me - go figure.  His eyes lit up at every turn of the evening like so much revelation and Walt Disney wonderment had just come upon him.

He often asked what we were doing, where we were going, and why; but in truth, my answers simply served to help him follow me down the trail.  He still needed to hold my hand as we walked.

JeeP came with me.

It was simple.  He was safe.  My strength created his bubble of security.

Today as I saw that picture, I thought of my own walk with God.  The dark places in life down by the river are scary, even though they are exhilarating when I'm on task with God.  Even in my uneasiness, I feel illogically safe.  My own humanness struggles against the Holy Spirit within me as I earnestly want to know the how, why, and where of our journey.

In the end, God always provides, protects, and succeeds.  I don't know how, and it remains difficult to simply keep walking, but He has proven His faithfulness too many times for me to stop following along with Him.

Somehow the dark, scary places become places of peace and even fun... places where I can climb on canon and slide down the granite just because He brought me there.

King David of Israel, in the 23rd Psalm, said it this way:
"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil for Thou art with me.  Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows."

The Valley of the Shadow of Death isn't that cheery of a place... unless God is there and I'm with Him.

It makes all the difference in the world that I'm following even as I learn and lead.

It's kind of like a walk I took once with my son down by the river.

In the peace of Christ,

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!