Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Saturday Morning...


The boundless energy of children on Saturday morning is...

Depending upon your state in life, the end of that sentence might look completely different, like a story with optional endings! As the father to a three year old and five year old, it's probably most of those things sometime within the morning.

At some point it's the 'aaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh' amidst a half-awake snore as I realize that the footsteps are coming up the stairs to our room. It's the little smile that creeps over my tired, 'oh it's early,' mind as they hand me a gift of a pencil or a toy. It's the cacophonous thunder as they play chase and holler for no apparent reason and I struggle to hear my own thoughts and give up on adult conversation. It's the joy of being 'bowled over' as they crowd to hug me to the ground and refuse to be anywhere but with me. In the end, it's simply joy... it's happiness... it's good.

Sometimes we miss the good, indeed the wonderful. The inconvenient joy of Saturday morning with children is the best thing I can imagine for waking up on a day off. It's not what I would do without them, and the only thing I want to do in light of them. Somewhere in all of that is a lesson for life, and love, and investment. Somewhere in all of that is a difference in my time not only with them, but with my bride... not only with my bride, but with my God. I don't have to nail it down to get it. It's simple. It's where the joy is. It's sometimes where we want to go, and sometimes where the pleasant surprise is.

And that, my friend, is Saturday morning... as the children vie to hold my hands again, and I'm reminded that it's time to stop typing!

Peace of Christ to you... as that's exactly what I'm enjoying here!

John

1 comment:

  1. Do you ever think our house will be quiet on a Saturday morning? I think once it finally is - the quiet will be too loud! LOL! Thanks for being such a wonderful jungle gym for our kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!