Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Satisfaction

The degree of satisfaction when encountering the mirror of the soul is entirely dependent upon the standard of comparison.


Think about that for a moment. What, or who, serves as your measuring stick?

Most of us follow the examples of iconic persons in our lives. Our parents, grandparents, mentors, or idols often serve to provide that level of excellence we believe we should and will someday actually achieve. But are these high enough, honest enough measuring sticks?

If the goal is to be as good as I can be, then I would have to say, 'yes'. If the goal is to be what I should be, then I would have to say 'no'.

I find it interesting that my car came with instructions from the manufacturer, and that those instructions provide a measuring stick for things like operational parameters and maintenance. If I disagree in philosophy and practice with the manufacturer, I do so at my own peril.

The same is true of the human machine. We are a creation. We are intentionally designed, thought out, and formed. Isn't it logical, then, to reference the Creator God for the only real standard of measuring our lives?

Though we rebelled against Him, stole our lives from Him, messed them up in all sorts of ridiculous ways, God the Father offers us restoration in the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The ways of God give me proper perspective of the standard I have yet to achieve... His standard. Grace is God's gift to redeem me from my failure to achieve that standard. And that gives an honest look in the mirror.

Grace to you and peace in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!