Copyright Information

The information herein is copyright to Rev. John Franklin, and may be used only by permission. Contact: revfranklin@me.com

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Little Sweat in the Bucket of Eternity

Today I passed out my half of 500 door hangers for our church.

I met up with a friend and church member, hung a new banner outside to advertise our weekend full-o-fun (rummage sale/block party/worship service/Saints game and Potluck lunch), and learned just how hot the New Orleans Fall can get when you're stretching your legs past 250 doors (my half).

We met several folks along the way... most of them glad to meet us... gave the neighborhood dogs something to bark at, and blanketed our little community with fliers that help them stay "in the know."

What good does it do?  Well, one elderly lady responded by saying, "Oh, dat's nice, thank you!" (I love getting responses from the elderly... they are typically the boiled down response pattern of the entire culture around you) but the simple answer is that I'm not sure what the final effect will be.  I do know, however, that if you show someone the cross enough times, they are bound to eventually ask why you keep showing it to them.  I am convinced that if you invite someone to receive kindness enough times, they are bound to eventually wonder why you would care.  I am persuaded that if you sweat into the bucket of investment enough times by walking from the church office to the door of someone's home, they might just wonder if they shouldn't see what Jesus might have to offer them... and that's why we do it, isn't it?

Today, we put a few drops of sweat into the investment bucket of eternity.  I wonder how the investment will return.

It's simple, it's clear, it's the Gospel going out... and that's what we were sent to do.

In the peace of Christ,

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and comments with me! I look forward to hearing how God is moving and shaping your life even as He is mine!